Saturday, January 23, 2010

Tipping Massage therapists: how much? is it legal?

For a $75 massage is it appropriate to tip? I heard recently it was unethical and illegal to tip a massage therapist.


I currently tip @$12 or a little morfe if they were really good and focused on a specific problem.Tipping Massage therapists: how much? is it legal?
I worked for years in the restaurant industry and so made my living from gratutities. When I started my massage practice, I generally discouraged tipping. I would rather people be simply paying my fee and not wrack their brains on how much/if they should tip me.





A few clients still insist on tipping. I tell them its not neccessary but they seem to enjoy it so I let them.





I charge what I consider a very fair rate, considering the amount of time, energy and money I've put into doing the body therapies I do.Tipping Massage therapists: how much? is it legal?
Licensing/credentialing for massage therapists varies wildly from state to state. And in California, it varies from city to city or county to county. I'm in Washington and I never signed such an agreement. I agree it can interfere with the client/provider relationship.

Report Abuse



Of course tipping is legal, just like tipping your waitress in a restaurant. It is only illegal the person receiving the tip, not reporting it as income.


It is very appropriate to tip; I have heard the stories from therapies/waitresses that are mad at their clients, because they felt like they have given best service ';many times'; with the same customer, and not even get as little as a ';thank you'; for it. 10% gratuity is a good start.
My bro is a massage therapist.... tipping is perfectly legal. and he loves tips, it like a thumbs up...





what is illegal is to tip a student therapist... one that hasn't got his license yet.
ive never heard it is illegal but that is good if you tip dont always tip every time you go they will get used to it. a tip is A favor or gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment