Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Self employed therapists massage locations?

I would like to know where some MT's do massage? Do you go to clients homes? do you rent a space? Do you work out of your own home? or other? I want to get into massage, I do not wish to go to clients homes... unless I know them well enough.Self employed therapists massage locations?
I do all of my work either in my rented office or at businesses. At businesses I have used my chair as well as my table. The table I took to a larger dental office a few hours a week to do carpal tunnel symptom relief and prevention on the staff. My personal preference is not to go into homes . Many friends I met ona site called pubspa have hte same opinion with me. They are massage enthusiasts. I met them on the site because we ahve the same interest - massage. We usually talk together and share blogs, videos, music and games.Self employed therapists massage locations?
I have a friend who is a MT and she feels the same but there is another reason you lose time travelling and gas costs





What she does is she contacted several descent hair salons


and now she goes to several places.


She also contacted some of the bigger business and she has a chair of sorts and she goes into their offices


as these guys are under lots of stress but do not have the time to go and get a massage.





some times spas are looking for Mt's and some times it may be reasonable to open your own spot.





But I agree It would not be a good idea to go into a strangers home.


Massage is personal and there should be limits on it.


it is great that you know what you will and will not do.
The best place to go is a massage school. Excellent massage, cheap. 20-25 dollars per hour.
I am a LMBT in NC and I work out of my home as well as a rented space in a soap and coffee shop. I also make house calls to do my job.


Going to a client's home is mostly safe for me as I am a man of quite large stature. This scares some folks but once they get a sample of my work, they just melt.


Some of my patients are just in it for the feel good rubbing, but some are here for therapy as well.


I offer hot stone massage at the office only but everything else can travel.


And thanx Tomas for the pubspa link.
I have an massage space in my house. I also work two days a week at a healing center, I trade my space rent for a massage to the owner 2 times a month. I only go to a clients home if they are flat on their back at their house. My massage space is much more comfortable then working in someone living room, plus I used to charge for my travel time. It isn't worth it to me to go to someones house, because of the gas, set-up and take down time and travel time.





I have people travel from around the country to my house to get my 5 day hawaiian healing session, Which is two hours of massage each day for 5 days. I also have a body specific session that professional athletes will travel to where I live to get worked on.. I live in southeast idaho, but I have been a self employed massage therapist for over 20 years. specializing in Hawaiian massage the past 10+ years..





The biggest thing is find a school that allows you to experience many different types of massage techniques so you can find one that call to your heart and soul and learn marketing for massage therapists Do you know that 50% of therapists are out of the field in the first year of graduation? and 70% are out of the field within 3 years? Learn how to take care of your body with proper body mechanics and get regular massages on your own person.
I am a LMT and I am an independent therapist. I prefer this over working for a spa because I want the client to decide what type of massage they want plus I do not charge a lot for massages. I charge a flat fee and the only this that will make the amount change is if I have to travel more than 15 miles to get to you or you want longer than an hour massage. I prefer going to the clients home it helps them relax more if they are in their own homes. Since I am a male therapist I always offer new female clients the option of having my wife come with me and help set up for the massage so that they see that I am not just some perv. If you are wanting to get into massage I strongly recommend that you talk with massage therapist in your area to find out were they got their schooling. Also contact American Massage Therapist Association to see if they recommend any schools in your area.
i am a therapist at a day spa and i work on commission. i have a small local clientele and i get a lot of tourists in the summer months. since I am in a tourist destination, i get some people trying to get someone to come to their hotel to give massage. I refuse to do this because if they do not have the right idea of what kind of massage i do, then I would be in a dangerous situation. not to mention the trouble and expense of lugging my table to and from locations:BIG PAIN. but of course, they dont want to have to pay you extra for the extra trouble. so i dont see any plusses in out call work for my business. I also would not want them coming to my home at all hours to see if I would give them massage. here, when i leave work, I LEAVE work so if someone stops by when i am done working, i dont have to deal with it. i would be pretty mad if someone interrupted my dinner to ask if i would do a massage. and it probably WOULD happen judging by the way people dont always make appointments and like to just show up. I would reccommend that you plan on working somewhere other than your home or out calls. I f you could get a job at a spa/ resort you will have a built in clientele that will keep you busy. great for new massage therapists who have no clientele base. it would get your name out there, too.


otherwise it usually takes between one and three years to build up to the point where you are making a living at it!


good luck to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment