Saturday, January 23, 2010

Do you tip a massage therapist if you have a gift certificate?

I've never been before and my husband bought me a two hour massage and facial. What do I expect? I really don't feel comfortable with being completely undressed.Do you tip a massage therapist if you have a gift certificate?
I have been a Massage Therapist for 12 years....


I do get alot of tips...about 98% of the time and usually between 15-25%.


Tips are nice, but I realize that sometimes a client has a giftcard from a friend that thought s/he deserved a special treat and they really can't currently even afford a massage or the tip.... I am never offended, I am just glad they could experience a nice event.





As for undressing.... I always say ';undress to your comfort level'; and will work around whatever the client decided to do.... even the more shy clients will start to undress more on next visits.


Proper draping of sheets/blankets to keep continuous coverage of breast area and genitalia is mandatory from the state I work in as well as my own personal preference....LOL....





Always remember... this is your time, we are at your service....you are the boss !!Do you tip a massage therapist if you have a gift certificate?
You tip BOTH the massage therapist AND esthetician. 15%-20% is average.





Therapists are very professional and there are state board required way to drape the body when getting a massage. As for a facial you should take your robe off as well because a neck/shoulder massage is part of a facial. The sheets will be tucked right under your underarms.





Have you made your appointment yet? You can request a female massage therapist if that makes you more comfortable as well.
Oh, absolutely. :)





I'm not sure how much your services cost, but I'd throw her a $20 at least. I suppose it depends on where you live too.





EDIT: And as for being completely undressed, it's not all that bad. Places like that are skilled in not leaving you feeling ';vulnerable'; and mostly covered up with towels and such. Just relax and enjoy yourself. You obviously deserve it otherwise your hubby wouldn't have given you this awesome gift!
DEFINITELY. I always treat gift certificates the same as cash, so tips are a go (normally 20% of the total cost)!





And the whole getting undressed thing, its really not that awkward. The people are professionals so they should deal with it in a very mature way. If you are at any time uncomfortable, say something immediately.
always leave a tip no matter what the cost of your services are.


just be cool being naked, these are professional therapists so they are so used to that. maybe, if you inform the MT that this is your first session she will give you some comforting words for you not to get uneasy.enjoy the session, it will definitely relax you inside %26amp; out.


good luck
You always tip a massage therapist gift card or not, usually 20.00

No comments:

Post a Comment