Saturday, January 23, 2010

Could I be a successful male massage therapist if I only work from my apartment? Would I get clients?

I'm worried that people will get the wrong idea. I'm planning on going to massage school to become a certified massage therapist in several styles. I would love for this to work. I want to help people feel better and I would get a personal satisfaction in doing so. I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with my life and this seems like a nice idea. Just wondering if I could pull it off and make a decent living off of it.Could I be a successful male massage therapist if I only work from my apartment? Would I get clients?
A male massagist working from your own home? People will think you're giving people more than just massages.Could I be a successful male massage therapist if I only work from my apartment? Would I get clients?
I actually prefer a massage in the masseur's home, but then I am a man and don't have the issues that a woman would have. Word of mouth is best way to build up a clientele; like others have said, try to establish urself with a salon, spa,chiropractor. And offer to go to the client's home Be flex too

Report Abuse



You can make a decent living as a massotherapist. I wouldn't recommend doing it from your apartment though. It seems a little shady and I think most would be uncomfortable in the atmosphere. You also open yourself up to lawsuits. Not saying this would happen but it could. What you could do is open a small office, build a strong clientle then move to your business to your apartment. This way they'd already have a business relationship with you and you'd know who your letting into your private space!
you'd have my vote...jk





put your ads out there maybe
The majority of people who get massages are women. As a female I would be uncomfortable not because your a man but being alone at your house. I wouldn't put myself in that situation and when you market it, it may come up weird to others. What about making house calls instead? Or even have a RV set up like a massage room?
Yes I think you can be successful, if you are good.





I've been a massage therapist for 2 decades and it can be done if you are flexible.


I have a portable table, so I can also go to clients.


I only work on people in my apt if I know them.


The other alternative is, there maybe some space in your city that rents out massage rooms by the hour. There are a few in my city, but I'm in NYC so we have everything here.





In order to establish yourself, you might consider working at a local Spa. or for a chiropractor or dentist. The latter 2 have incorporated using massage therapists from time to time.


You could even do it part time ... while you're building your own clientel. It would also build your confidence in your work.





Also, included in your schooling is advice on the way to set up your practice.


If this is something you are passinate about, you will find a way to be successful.





Much good luck to you.
Hmmmmmm, a male massage therapist offering his services from home??? Granted, this would cut down on your business expenses (no commercial rent); however, I don't see that idea flying as a successful business venture. Massage clients need to feel safe and be somewhere quiet, soothing and relaxing.





A masseuse I visit occasionally subleases her space from a physiotherapist. Therefore, the two practices are related and her rent is far cheaper than she would likely pay to her own landlord. This might be something you could think about as well. As for making a decent living? Get yourself a gig with a pro athlete or team ... you'll be set!

No comments:

Post a Comment