Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Wrists: Self care for massage therapists?

I am a massage therapy student...I've been attending an intense program for the past 6 months and am just about to graduate. I dont practice as much as an actual LMT but I use my hands, a lot. On top of bodywork at school and in clinics, I also make jewelry and paint in my spare time. Lately I've noticed my wrists hurt...mainly when I extend them. Not really intense pain or anything, but definite soreness and bothersome pain. Any suggestions for self-care or anyone out there with similar experience? I don't want to mess up my career before I start it!





Thanks, L.Wrists: Self care for massage therapists?
I am also a massage Therapy Student. The question or concern was brought up in our courses. One of our teachers is an RN and a LMT. She suggests if you have soreness you need to take a rest and ice the wrist. Because your hands are your future and you must rest in order to take care of yourself.





Also, watch your body mechanics. Make sure you are not bending the wrist all the time. Use your body not your wrists. You wrist is usually pretty stationary.





Another way to help is doing a pariffin dip. You can do the whole hand or you can paint the pariffin on the wrists only. (I don't know if you have studied pariffin dips, but wrap in seran wrap then in a towl for 10 minutes)





You could even get a brace and wear it at night to prevent overextending.





But above all we just have to take care of our hands a MT's. Unfortunately sometimes the only thing you can do is rest or RICE it (Rest, Ice, Compress, elevate)





I hope that helps you.Wrists: Self care for massage therapists?
yes soak your hands or your whole body and good warm water with some epsom salt in the water then get you a wrist cuff to put over your hand and wrist while you are using your hands but take it off during the day to move your hands and wrist in a circular motion this will work out the kinks
Lets fellow therapists now using their hands over your wrists...That what massage therapy for...or you do not believe in it?
Sounds like you are using your hands all the time. When you are massaging there should be no wrist strain at all on your hands. This is easy to accomplish by learning your proper body mechanics, or placing, positioning and posturing your body to maximize the effect of your body weight. It should be easy to only rely on your larger muscles of the legs and thighs to propel your body, and the posiitions of your hands as tools to execute the stroke as you ';fall'; into it.


You should never be pushing in a massage, ever. If you can give any words to your action, it's restraining movement, breaking or slowing down your fall. You should use the weight of your body to propel you through a stroke, and begin and end each stroke with a smooth touch that rivals the brush stroke of a master artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment