Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How much should you tip a massage therapist?

I'm going to a student clinic, so they are not officially certified yet. Any suggestions?How much should you tip a massage therapist?
Not sure how much they charge or what kind of massage you're getting, short long, Swedish, neck and shoulder, etc.





I tip at least $5 for anything over $20 because I know I can't do what they do (massage, cut hair, pedicures, etc.) and I don't want to be too cheap. Also, in your case, since they're students they probably need the money for supplies and tuition and things like that. If it's really cheap like $10, I'm sure $2-$5 is appreciated.





I look at it like if someone gets a knot out of your back or makes you feel better, whey give them less than what you'd pay for a cup of coffee at Starbuck's when they have to do things to you that require extensive training (not that being a Barista doesn't involve skills - you know what I mean)?How much should you tip a massage therapist?
5$
Calling oneself a ';therapist'; implies one is a professional, and professionals don't work for tips. They say up front what they think their service is worth, and expect that amount, just like a doctor or lawyer. But not all massage people realize that. If you think yours expects it, and you think he's worth it, giving him an extra 15% or so.
10% for a student
FIve bucks for students. But if you get it from a professional, give ten. It's hard to do what they do. How would you like to make a living rubbing on people like that? And your hands hurt and get tired.





And Chris, people don't do that anymore. It's wrong and it's harassment to expect or ask for it. People don't have to deal with that.
It depends on how happy the ending was.
Remember anything from school?


Tip= rate X charges


Usually you tip 15% but if you felt your massage really let go of some tension in your body, you can do 20%.


Either way:


.15 X $$$
it really depends on how it was...My wife and I typically tip $20 on a $65/hr massage.


They may make more than you an hour, but they dont work every hour. Most are struggling as independent workers.
I just generally like to tip well for good service, and my rule of thumb is just like in the food service industry -- 15-20% of the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment