Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Is it hard for men to become massage therapists?

meaning finding work, starting a business etc.Is it hard for men to become massage therapists?
There are many of us that prefer male therapists because they can dig in deeper and really get those lower layers of muscle.Is it hard for men to become massage therapists?
Yes, it's a hard thing to do. I'm a massage therapist with my own practice. I'm good, too. I have faced a lot of ridiculous discrimination. Some people are great and some aren't.


I would definitely have a plan B (or make massage a plan b).
Of course not. I am training to become a massage therapist and my teacher is a man. He is very good at it. Men tend to be better because they are stronger with their movements and because men have more muscle then women. Plus if you worked at a place sometimes males like to be massaged by men instead of women. I meaning it like how police officers have to pat down males and women with women. You meet alot of people also. Who knows you may meet someone that you can grow into a relationship with. But I think you will do very well. ;) Good luck!
I don't think so because women are pampered with massages more often then men. As long as you are properly trained and know your business well then you should do well!!! Hope I Helped!!! Btw, I want to be a massage therapist too :D
As a male massage therapist with over 10 years of experience, then answer is definately yes. This doesn't mean that you cannot be successful, just that you have to work harder at maintaining professionalism and pay attention at every second when you do massage.





For example, you should dress professional, female massage therapists can usually wear whatever but dont try to show up in a tank top. You have to pay attention to your every movement, if you accidentally brush a breast, you may find yourself accused of inappropriate behaviour.





Many women are reluctant to come to my office if they have not been referred so you cant rely on advertising alone. You may got alot of attention from gay men and this may not be the segment of the population you had in mind when taking up massage.





Most places that employ massage therapists have one token male MT on staff and we are actively discriminated against in help wanted ads all the time.





It can work in your favor as men are perceived as being stronger but few people think of men as being good nurturer's and listeners, which are important skills in this field.





Finally, do you have support amongst your friends and family for this work? I've taught students whose families thought they were crazy for doing this work. The association of massage and prostitution runs deep and you should be prepared for alot of comments.
i'd have to think so, but I know a couple. One of them started his own business and has a lot of male and female clients and seems to be dong well.
  • natural lipstick
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment