Friday, May 14, 2010

What would you look for in a massage therapist?

I am beginning training to be a certified massage therapist. What would YOU look for in an excellent bodywork practitioner? What things would you like? What things would you dislike? (Serious replies only, please. We're talking a profession and not a back alley massage.) Thanks!What would you look for in a massage therapist?
I have had many massages over the years at spas and medical centers. It depends what I am wanting from the massage. If I am at a spa, I look for someone that provides a relaxing experience, and is gentle





When I go for medical massage, for my arthritis and other problems, I look for someone who can ';read'; my muscles and pinpoint my problems. I look for someone who talks to me and explains what will work and why. I also look for someone that does ';active'; massage, that invloves stretches, etc. I also want someone physically strong enough to deeply work the muscles.What would you look for in a massage therapist?
the first thing is respect for your patient. Try to find out what he or she want. Listen carefully to the complaints and at last do not use strong body odors
Personally, I look for a masseuse with what I call a wide range of finger pressure. What I mean is they can press or knead lightly enough to detect sore pressure points without hurting the client and yet be strong enough when needed to untangle those knots. Also, most masseuses where I come from just ';go through the motions';. I'd love it if a massage therapist could have a repertoire of manipulations suitable to specific conditions and patients.





And it would help a lot if he/she could carry on a pleasant conversation as well :)
I look for:





A therapist who has my best interest at heart. One who wants to develop a serious therapuetic relationship with me.





I like:





A therapist who'll spend the time with me assessing my needs, so as to formulate some worthy treatment goals.


One who uses deep tissue techniques is a bonus, but not an absolute requirment.





I dislike:


A therapist who talks trash to me suggesting psuedo scientific crap like I should drink a lot of water after a massage because it will help flush out ';a lot of toxins';, when they can't seem to produce any scientific evidence that drinking water after a massage will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment